This won’t come as a surprise but I am very particular about brownies. It can’t be too fudgy yet it can’t be too cakey – just somewhere in between like Goldilocks. Recipes I keep finding were for those that liked to live on the fudgier side of life but with a few tweaks I’ve made a brownie that I’m quite happy with. This chocolate peanut butter brownie recipe is a recipe I’ve been tinkering with for a few years – I still haven’t got it perfect yet but the more I play around with it the less perfect it gets. I think this is as perfect that I can get until I have another brainwave.
This chocolate peanut butter brownie recipe will be half way inbetween a fudgy and cakey texture (thanks to the bit of baking powder added to give it a slight lift in the batter). Brown sugar was also used to give a more caramelised depth of flavour as well as keeping the brownie itself quite moist. On top you’ll find that signature shiny crinkly layer that brownies have with beautiful swirls of peanut butter. In the end you can’t really taste the peanut butter but I add it anyway for the wow factor. It’s a beautiful sight ain’t it?
Happy baking all :)
For some more peanut butter inspired ideas check out brownie cookies with peanut butter frosting recipe and also vanilla sugar cookies with peanut butter frosting recipe.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie
Serves 16 small squares
200g dark chocolate (min 70%), broken into pieces
140g unsalted butter, chopped into cubes
200g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs (large)
85g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
4 tbsp peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm square tin.
- Place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set this over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure bottom of bowl doesn’t touch the bowl). Stir until melted and combined. Remove from heat.
- While chocolate is melting, in another bowl add the eggs, sugar and vanilla and mix with an electric hand mixer for 5 minutes. This is to ensure you get the thin crinkly layer that you find on the tops of brownies.
- Add melted chocolate into the egg mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
- Sift flour and baking powder over mixture and then fold it through until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin.
- Put peanut butter into a small saucepan and heat on a stove until it is slightly melted.
- Drop teaspoons of peanut butter into the batter and use a chopstick to make swirls.
- Bake for 35 minutes. To check if brownies are ready insert a toothpick until it has a few crumbs clinging on.
- Cool completely in tin before cutting it.